Expanding coal exports is bad news for Australia and the world

Sep 12, 2013· Expanding coal exports is bad news for Australia and the world ... A massive expansion of coal mining would make capital and labour even more …

Coal industry thriving, but at what social and health cost?

Nov 01, 2012· Coal industry thriving, but at what social and health cost? ... With the highest density of coal mining activity close to towns and farms in Australia (well over 30 operating mines …

Australia Debates: Does a Warming Planet Really Need More ...

Oct 14, 2017· Australia Debates: Does a Warming Planet Really Need More Coal? Image An enormous expansion at Abbot Point, Australia's most northern deep water coal port, is planned as part of a controversial ...

The mining and burning of coal: effects on health and the ...

Sep 29, 2011· The mining and burning of coal: effects on health and the environment • Australia's coal conundrum is that all political parties say they are concerned about climate change while sanctioning an unprecedented expansion of coalmining and coal seam gas extraction in Australia.

News - Australian Mining

Top five mining stories last week (0) June 3, 2019 Stay on top of the most read articles on the Australian Mining website over the past week, including approval of modifications to the expansion ...

Coal mining | World Coal Association

Coal mining is only a temporary use of land, so it is vital that rehabilitation of land takes place once mining operations have stopped. In best practice a detailed rehabilitation or reclamation plan is designed and approved for each coal mine, covering the period from the start of operations until well after mining …

Panel to study impact of coalmining on Sydney drinking ...

Mar 01, 2018· switch to the Australia ... Panel to study impact of coalmining on Sydney drinking water ... "There are proposals for a significant expansion of coal mining …

Coal and gas mining in Australia - tai.org.au

communities across Australia about the impacts of mining in general, and coal mining and unconventional gas development in particular.1 This concern has arguably been driven by two central factors. The first factor is the number and size of production titles for these resources, which taken

n Coal Mining Managing the cumulative impacts of multiple ...

Coal Mining n: Managing the cumulative impacts of multiple mines on regional communities and environments in Australia Regional communities and environments in Australia have experienced the rapid transitions associated with expansion of the coal mining …

Queensland's Galilee Basin

May 01, 2015· There are currently nine coal mega-mines proposed for the Galilee Basin, which together make it the second biggest fossil fuel expansion proposed anywhere in the world (after Western China). At full production, the proposed Galilee Basin projects would double Australia's coal exports to over 600 million tonnes a year.

The plan to build Australia's largest coal mine ... - qz.com

Dec 18, 2017· The mine requires a 388km railway line to connect it to the Queensland coast, apart from an expansion of the Abbot Point coal terminal, which could pose a risk to the Great Barrier Reef.

Australia and coal - SourceWatch

This case study well supports the argument that expansion of mining to a previously non-active region caused significant hazard to social life and health of the community. Alarming Health Impacts on Women in Mining Areas A range of factors can affect the physical and mental health of women in the mining areas of Australia.

Coal Resources | Geoscience Australia

Coal is used in cement manufacturing, food processing, paper manufacturing and alumina refineries. Black coal was first discovered in Newcastle 1791 and coal mining and exports commenced soon after in 1799. These early coal mining activities made a significant contribution to the progress of European settlement in Australia.

Australia's booming coal prices: Six major coal producers ...

Oct 13, 2016· The world's third largest exporter of metallurgical coal has six coal operations across Australia. The Drayton open cut mine, in New South Wales Hunter Valley, has an annual production of around three million tonnes per annum of thermal coal. The company also operates the Dawson mine, which is one of Australia's longest established coal mines.

Overview - Queensland's Galilee Basin

There are currently nine coal mega-mines proposed for the Galilee Basin 1, which together make it the second biggest fossil fuel expansion proposed anywhere in the world (after Western China) 2. At full production, the proposed Galilee Basin projects would double Australia's coal exports to over 600 million tonnes a year.

Australian land court rules against Acland coal mine expansion

May 31, 2017· The Queensland Land Court in Australia has recognised the environmental impact that an expansion of the Acland open-cut coal mine would have on the local community and environment and has recommended that the expansion should not go ahead. It will, however, be the Queensland government that makes the final decision, and it's a government that…

Why Adani's planned Carmichael coalmine matters to ...

Aug 15, 2017· Why Adani's planned Carmichael coalmine matters to Australia – and the world ... a precious resource in Australia. Coal mining uses a lot of …

Adani Australia

Adani Australia is an energy and infrastructure company, dedicated to delivering energy solutions for an advancing world. Renewables Adani Renewables Australia is striving to become a leading supplier of renewable energy in Australia.

Top 10 Listed Coal Companies in Australia

List of The Top 10 ASX Listed Coal Companies in Australia. Here is a list of top ten public/private sector Coal Companies in Australia.It's shares are actively traded on Australian …

BHP Billiton plans $204M expansion of coal mine

Apr 20, 2017· MELBOURNE, Australia--BHP Billiton Ltd. (BHP.AU) is planning a US$204 million expansion of its coking-coal operations in eastern Australia to increase production of …

Coal and gas mining in Australia

communities across Australia about the impacts of mining in general, and coal mining and unconventional gas development in particular.1 This concern has arguably been driven by two central factors. The first factor is the number and size of production titles for these resources, which taken

Managing the cumulative impacts of coal mining on regional ...

Feb 20, 2012· The expansion and contraction of the coal mining industry in Australia has placed pressure on regional communities and environments and multiplied the extent, magnitude and profile of cumulative impacts. While some mining communities have benefited from the expansion of the coal industry through the creation of jobs and the investment in economies, the compounding impacts of multiple mining ...

Carmichael coal mine - Wikipedia

The Carmichael coal mine is an approved thermal coal mine in the north of the Galilee Basin in Central Queensland, Australia. Mining is planned to be conducted by both open-cut and underground methods. The mine is proposed by Adani Mining, a wholly owned subsidiary of India's Adani Group.

Coal in Australia - Wikipedia

Coal is mined in every state of Australia.Mining occurs mainly in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. [citation needed] About 75% of coal mined in Australia is exported, mostly to eastern Asia, and of the balance most is used in electricity generation.Coal production in Australia increased 13.6% between 2005 and 2010 and 5.3% between 2009 and 2010.

Australia's coal revival in full swing by 2019 – MINING.COM

Nov 16, 2018· In particular, without the approval of new mines or expansion of existing mines – politically difficult because of concerns about global warming – Australia …

Coal Mining, Climate Change and the Global Impacts on ...

Oct 26, 2017· This begins with reducing our carbon footprint by stopping the expansion of our fossil fuel industry, including the proposed Carmichael coal mine. The climate impacts of the proposed Carmichael coal mine go against Australia's international commitment to promote a sustainable future by limiting increases in global temperatures.

What future for coal, a crucial part of Australian history ...

Sep 29, 2015· Australia began mining coal at the beginning of the 1800s, in what is today called Newcastle, but was originally Coal Valley. ... Australia therefore benefited enormously from the expansion of the ...

Cameby Downs coal mine gets state nod for massive ...

May 01, 2019· Yancoal Australia has received approval from the Queensland Government for its planned expansion of the C ameby Downs thermal coal mine.. The Darling Downs-based mine started production in 2010.